1. Who of the following former Judges of the Supreme Court said that the Chief Justice of India should be appointed on the basis of merit and not on the basis of seniority?
A. Justice C K Prasad
B. Justice A K Patnaik
C. Justice Markendeya Katju
D. Justice B S Chauhan
Answer : "C"
(....Explanation at the end....)
2. Which of the following state governments has been criticised by the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) of encouraging ‘Love Jihad’ the alleged phenomenon whre Muslim boys lure Hindu girls into relationships and later marriage and conversions?
B. Uttar Pradesh
C. Tamil Nadu
Answer : "B"
3. Which of the following state Governor’s of India submitted the resignation on August 24, 2014 refusing to take new assignment as the Governor for Mizoram?
A. Andhra Pradesh
B. West Bengal
Answer : "D"
(.....Explanation at the end.....)
4. The Pancheshwar Multipurpose Project is being constructed on the river
Answer : "D"
(..........Explanation at the end........)
5. Which of the following statements is/are true regarding the National Judicial Appointments Commission (NJAC)?
A. The Supreme Court dismissed challenges on August 25th, 2014 to the NJAC bill saying the bill is yet to receive the President’s assent
B. The basic contention is that the bill violated the basic structure of the Constitution
C. NJAC is basically meant for replacing the collegiums system where the appointments of the Supreme Court and High Court judges are recommended by the collegiums of the Supreme Court
Chose the correct answer from below:
1. A and B
2. B and C
3. A and C
4. A, B and C
Answer : "4"
- Justice Markendeya Katju at present is the Chairman for Press Council of India
- In India the CJI is appointed on the basis of seniority and is followed as a practice.
- Sankaranarayan was first appointed as the Governor of Maharashtra in the year 2007 and later transferred to Jharkhand in 2009 and in 2010 to Maharashtra.
- When his term came to an end in the year 2012 he was again appointed as the Governor of Maharashtra
- This is a bi-national power project between India and Nepal
- The environmentalists are opposing the construction of this project because of geographical issues.